Thursday, May 14, 2015

A Brutal Throwback Thursday



Brutal Planet: A Zombie Novel
by Sean P. Murphy
316 pages
$2.99 Kindle version

Brutal Planet is a selection from my personal reading list, and I wasn't disappointed with my choice. Told mostly from the POV of an anthropologist named John, this novel is full of incredible action scenes, and some great dialogue between characters. I think making the main character someone who is able to make professional observations about the zombies was a superb decision by the author Sean P. Murphy. It provides an interesting angle to the story which I think zombiephiles will enjoy.

I personally enjoyed the way Murphy mixes up the storyline with a major flashback about halfway through, instead of dumping all of John's survival experiences on the readers at the beginning. It felt as if I was getting to know John as a person, and not just a character. But, for the life of me, I don't understand why the other characters kept calling John an [a-hole], when he kept saving their lives.

I hope Sean P. Murphy continues to write more stories with the same formula: lots of action and solid character development, as well as the help of a professional editor. In the meantime, I encourage my fellow zombie fans to overlook the editing issues, and add Brutal Planet to their reading lists.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment