Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Pospartum Depression Leads To Missing Infant



Remember Mia
by Alexandra Burt
352 pages
$9.99 Kindle version

Estelle Paradise wakes up in a hospital with amnesia, She has suffered a gunshot to the head, and her infant daughter is missing. She is the prime suspect. (Available July 7, 2015)

I've been trying to expand my reading beyond horror into mystery-thrillers, but I've never had a story in this genre frighten me so much. From the beginning of this novel, I feared for 7 month old Mia Connor's life, and I couldn't read fast enough (I did read it in one sitting). How appropriate that the sections were divided by quotes from Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland because, the more Estelle Paradise Connor revealed about her inner turmoil, the further down the rabbit hole I felt I was falling.

Not only do I appreciate the horror of a missing infant, as well as the mystery surrounding Mia's disappearance and Estelle's car accident, I also appreciate the attention the author gives to the issue of postpartum depression...not to mention, the detailed description of waking up in a hospital with amnesia is well-written. I felt as though I was experiencing Estelle's confusion and desperation as my own. This is one of the most emotionally charged novels that I've ever read.

The ending was unpredictable. I loved how Burt used seemingly random information from earlier in the story to connect the pieces of the past to the present. I couldn't believe how much Estelle changed from one section of the story to another...excellent character development. I would gladly read more from Alexandra Burt.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment