Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Family Secrets

In the Night by Melanie Rosa is a fantastic horror story. I had no idea what to expect. I thought maybe some Purge type of stuff happened after sunset, but, when I read about the camping trip, the story took on a supernatural feel and became truly frightening. The pace is absolutely perfect, and I love how the family secret is revealed...at night.

Whenever I read anything, my brain instantly converts words into moving images with no effort from my conscious mind. Reaching the end of the story is kind of like having the power go out just as a scary movie scene is beginning. I can't help but feel the ending is a tiny bit of a cliff-hanger. I would definitely love to know more about Jack's family. Maybe the author could write a follow-up short from Alice's POV.

As I've implied before and will likely again, stories with children raise the emotional stakes drastically.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment