Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, April 30, 2018

I Feel Jacked Up

Zack, Zack Goldman, pleased to meet you. I'm a runner. I know you don't know what that is. It's better if I just show you. 

See this wire? Yeah, this one here coming out of my arm. This is my connection to the net. You probably don't know that one either. I'll get to that. 

There was a time when wireless was the way to go. Everything connected in what they used to call clouds. The world was easier then. 

Then we found true virtual reality. Jammed that shit straight into our brains. Wireless wasn't fast enough. We're talking full on change in perception of worlds here. The MMOs that people used to play were immersive, you were part of their world. Kid's play. 

The net changed all that. World Dynamics created the first neural net. A virtual world built in the user's mind. Sure, it was electronic, and computers were a key component. Hell, you have to have a deck as part of your interface. But when you are logged into the net, the physical world is the world your programming creates. 

Sure, it's all still data, nothing but 1s and 0s. It's your user interface that sets the stage and builds the world you see. Like I said, I'm a runner. In the old world they might have called me a hacker. I specialize in data retrieval.

And I'm late. So, if you will excuse me, I have work to do.


The Nothing's Child by Jon M. Jefferson is a science fiction story wired with suspense. I felt really dumb at times because of all the tech talk, but I still enjoyed this sci-fi mystery. Zach is hired for a run, a job he thought had been successful. Much to his surprise and dismay, several groups of people are hunting him afterwards. Once Zach figures out what happened to his team, readers are introduced to yet another enigma.

Sometimes I felt like the narrator explained too much...I would have preferred more action. However, Jefferson created such a believable futuristic lifestyle, I think Zach should have his own series. I would also like to know more about the child. If the author leaves this as a stand-alone, I'm going to be pissed.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment