Thursday, July 2, 2015

Throwback Thursday Book Review

Phoenix
by C. Dulaney
291 pages
$5.99 Kindle version
When I first started reading this, I thought, "Oh for crying out loud! Psychics?! Really?! Way to ruin a great zombie series..." I am not normally a fan of anything that I perceive as supernatural being mixed with my zombie lit. (Yeah, the irony is not lost on me. LOL) So, I was almost hostile when I began reading this novel. I was positive I was going to hate it, and I would be put off of Dulaney's writing forever. Boy, was I wrong!

First of all, and this is REALLY IMPORTANT, do NOT read Phoenix until AFTER you have read the other three books in the series. It will make a HUGE difference in what you get out of this novel. As a fan, I would get really excited when I recognized characters from the other books making cameos.

You don't really get as much character depth as you do in the other storylines, but this book adds an incredible depth to the series as a whole. It is actually quite heart-wrenching, and I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the series, having this new insight added to Dulaney's zombie apocalypse.

I will warn readers that the beginning build-up is a bit slow, and the zombie action doesn't really get under way until much later in the book, but I feel that this is a must-read for fans of the series.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment