Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sunday Suspense: Stranger Danger

The Perfect Stranger
by Wendy Corsi Staub
421 pages
$6.99 Kindle version
I've never read anything by Wendy Corsi Staub before, but I enjoyed this story enough that I am now interested in reading her previous novels. The concept of bloggers being stalked and killed because of what they posted publicly was very intriguing to me. In this case, the bloggers are a support group of breast cancer survivors, and some of them may have provided too much personal information online. When one of their group is murdered, a few decide to meet in person for the funeral, but, after being questioned by police, they suspect it may have been one of them.

I wasn't sure who the killer was and I was even less certain about the motive. The mystery kept me interested, but there were far too many slow moments to call this a thriller. However, the group of women are something else: distinct characters, well-developed personalities and easy to match up to their online personas, introduced to us through occasional blog entries between chapters. I thought the multiple POVs were a great way to keep the storyline going, but the changes were a little haphazard at times.

I've been told this is not Staub's best work, but I thought it stood out from many other mystery novels, and I liked the real-life drama in this fictional setting. If you're looking for something different, it's not a bad way to pass a few hours.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment