Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Clark Roberts | INTERVIEW | AstraDaemon

In the movies or TV shows, horror authors are often portrayed as creepy-looking folks who lack social skills, get excited about murders, and have hidden rooms devoted to worshiping some ancient evil. In real life, horror authors are often the people you least suspect of having terrifying creatures roaming around in their heads, plotting another apocalypse scenario. They walk among us, baking bread, painting happy trees, knitting, etc., while listening to 1980s rock and drinking locally brewed beer.

CLARK ROBERTS is one of those authors hiding among us, looking as if he is preparing to film a fishing show for PBS. I stumbled upon his short stories randomly on Amazon, while searching for new terrors. After a few small conversations with Roberts, behind the scenes, I decided to bring him into the Lair for a proper introduction to readers...


How did you first get into writing, and why did you choose the horror genre?

Along with sports, reading was a big part of my childhood. My mom always made sure there were plenty of books on hand to pick up when I was a child. She encouraged me to read without limitation, and I think the most important thing is she let me read what I wanted. When I wanted Sports Illustrated, she purchased a subscription; when in middle school I carried around Clive Barker’s The Books of Blood she didn’t scream and wrestle it from my hands. Then, when my teachers called home to discuss some of the possibly alarming shit I’d written in class, she didn’t pull her hair out and scream. Instead, she bought me a word processor and said, “Have at it.” I don’t mention that to dog on those teachers, because really they were only doing their job and showing concern is not the same as censorship. Anyhow, Mom’s acceptance gifted me a lifelong love of reading and writing.

Then I remember my dad giving me his beat up copy of Stephen King and Peter Straub’s collaboration The Talisman. To this day I can still smell the pages from when I first cracked that book; I’d bet all book lovers know the familiar smell I’m talking about. I stared at the cover, and knew right then I wanted my own cover some day. Man, I love that book.

I owe a lot to my parents. They’ve always been good to me even at times when I was a prick in my twenties. I don’t thank them enough for the love and support they’ve given over the years. Not only that, but they’re also great grandparents.

Why do your stories always seem to involve children?

It’s funny, because I never recognized that connecting thread in many of them. It’s true all of the stories I’ve published as singles on Amazon up to this point do have children as major characters, but my collection Led By Beasts contains many stories devoid of children. I guess I’m not sure how to answer that other than mentioning kids are a part of everyday life for many of us.

I’ll say this, there are only a handful of stories I’ve written intentionally with a kid in mind. “The Whole World in Their Hands” which is published in Led By Beasts at its core is about my daughter, and I think it’s the best story I’ve written to date. “Fire Tires” which can be purchased as a single on Kindle is about my son, and I think it’s the most fun story I’ve written. My son is a pretty fun kid. “Costumes”...another story appearing in Led by Beasts is about both of those rascals. People look at me a little funny when they hear that, but I shrug and think “Ehhh… it’s a story.”

Are any of your stories based on a childhood experience or personal fears or are they just products of your imagination?

Not to date, but there is one in my mind that I haven’t yet written that my younger brother and a few of my childhood friends will recognize when I finally put the ink to paper. “Yellow Eyes” will be a dark story and it will essentially be about me, my brother, and the neighborhood kids I ran with and sometimes fought with.

Who or what influences your writing style?

Stephen King, Bentley Little, Laird Barron, Peter Straub, Clive Barker. I devoted a section of Led By Beasts to each of those horror Gods and explain the impact they had on particular stories. Led By Beasts Volume II will pay homage to Kealan Patrick Burke, Andy Rausch, Neil Gaimon, and Dennis Etchison.

Do people ever try to stereotype you when they find out you write horror stories?

Not that I’m aware of, but they do stereotype me because I’m Irish. Now excuse me while I go drink this fifth of whiskey and get angry.

Are you working on any new projects? Where can fans find out more about you and your creations?

To find more about me just friend me on Facebook or follow me at my Amazon page.

Currently I’m revising/editing a crop of stories for Led By Beasts Volume II. I have to wait for publishing rights to revert back to me on a handful of stories before I can collect them all into one volume, but it’s gonna be one helluva ride when I can publish that book. I’ve also started writing a sequel to my kid’s horror book Halloween Night on Monster Island. Part 2 is tentatively titled Independence Day on Monster Mountain.

There are also a couple projects I’m very excited about, VERY EXCITED, but right now don’t want to mention.

...pssst, alright I’ll let you guys in on my little secret but you have to promise not to say anything. Pinky promise? Alright, good. In my backyard shed I’ve built a time machine, and I’m planning to reverse all the negative effects man has had on our great Earth. Sounds nuts, right?

Haha! Just kidding. I haven’t stored a time machine in my shed. How crazy would that be?

It’s actually a nuclear warhead.

Thanks for stopping by the Lair! *pushes him out and locks the gate*


I encourage horror fans to check out this author's stories for themselves...Roberts has already shown quite a range within the genre.

As always,
AstraDaemon

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving me the interview. They weren't all jyst cookie cutter questions and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to change them up for every author. I don't think readers want to see the same interview over and over.

      Delete