Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saturday Shorts: Worst. Nightshift. Ever.

The Rail Yard Apparitions
by Samuel Brower
59 pages
FREE for limited time!
I enjoyed Works of Fiction so much, I decided I would just go ahead and feature Brower in another Saturday post. He has a way of telling a story that makes readers feel like they are experiencing the story, not just reading about it. Brower's stories also evoke a wide range of emotions, ranging from fear and revulsion to curiosity and amusement.

The Rail Yard Apparitions had me completely enthralled from one page to the next, and it has a clever ending which is a bit of a teaser. I could completely relate to Ben Suarez, a college student who needs the job, even if it's not the ideal work environment. However, Ben has bigger problems than an asshole for a boss or complaining customers - he has to face the horrific past events of the rail yard.

This novella has all the elements of classic horror, as well as the writing style I've come to expect from Brower. (I only recently started reading his short stories, but I have yet to be disappointed.) I wouldn't mind a follow-up. In the meantime, I look forward to more short stories from Samuel Brower.

As always,
AstraDaemon

.

No comments:

Post a Comment