Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Higher Expectations For Known Authors

Darkness Rising
by Brian Moreland
113 pages
$3.44 Kindle Version
Marty Weaver, an emotionally scarred poet, has been bullied his entire life. When he drives out to the lake to tell an old friend that he’s fallen in love with a girl named Jennifer, Marty encounters three sadistic killers who have some twisted games in store for him. But Marty has dark secrets of his own buried deep inside him. And tonight, when all the pain from the past is triggered, when those secrets are revealed, blood will flow and hell will rise.


Darkness Rising by Brian Moreland disappointed me. When I read his novel, The Vagrants, I couldn't wait to read more by the author, but his novella lacked the level of creativity that I'd come to expect from Moreland. Marty's special "talent" is extremely original, but the majority of imagery within Darkness Rising reminded me of various horror movies pieced together - kind of like Frankenstein's monster.

The novella is well-written, and, perhaps, readers that are new to Moreland will enjoy this story more than I did, but I feel I would be doing a disservice to the author if I said this was a great example of his talent...it's not. He can do so much better than this, and I sincerely hope that he pushes himself harder on his next project.

(Authors who have been reviewed by me in the past actually have it harder than newbie authors because my expectations are higher, especially if I am a fan. That said, I hope Brian Moreland doesn't put me on his shit list.)

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment