Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Ask For Trask

Banquet of Souls by T.D. Trask is a collection of twelve stories, ranging from creepy to maddening. I first discovered Trask when he co-wrote Deadsville with Dale Elster, and I can honestly say, Trask has only gotten better with his story delivery.

I'M HERE FOR YOU is a gut-check...I thought I knew how it would end. I was wrong.

RUTH is one hell of a domestic disturbance.

BANQUET OF SOULS is one of the darkest and most original stories that I've ever read.

BUS 1309 is an excellent story told in the classic style of horror.

SHE'S STILL BREATHING is a complete mystery, right up to the very last moments.

BLOOD PRESSURE is almost comical.

RYAN NOT RYAN is a great twist on a familiar folklore story.

THE CRUMBS OF MY SOUL is one of those stories where you can't be sure the narrator can be trusted.

THE GLASS IN THE WINDOW has a bit of a Lovecraft influence.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED ON AUGUST 14, 2003 is awful...I hope Trask never writes anything like it again...absolutely beneath him.

DEAD RUN is quite a spectacular zombie story...makes up for the previous story.

WHO'S A GOOD BOY? is another great genre story, and a fine way to end the collection.

Aside from the one lousy story, Trask has again set new standards for short stories in the horror genre.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment