Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Karma With A Coin Flip

Wooden Nickel by Simeon Gregory is a brilliant short story. The build-up is slow, but completely worth reading through as the true horror of the wooden nickel is revealed. I don't know if Gregory intended Stan's backstory to be funny, but I laughed myself into tears, only to be gut-punched, kicked in the face and stomped on by the ending. I felt thoroughly destroyed after discovering what the boys brought upon themselves. Moral of the story: be kind to others...you never know how a coin toss will turn out.

I reviewed Badger by Simeon Gregory back in August, and the stories are so radically different, it's hard to believe it's the same author. I'd love to see Gregory keep the writing style used in Wooden Nickel.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment