Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, October 28, 2019

Aliens, Undead and Terrorists [Interview]


Kody Boye is the author of many series such as When They Came, The Daylight Cycle and The Beautiful Ones. His monsters range from aliens to zombies to terrorists. The author has always had a special talent for taking relevant social issues and stirring up discussions about those real-life problems using a combination of horrifying creatures, complex characters and dystopian storylines.

Being no stranger to the Lair, I thought Boye would be a perfect guest to chat about the relevance of monsters in the horror genre, as well the significant role horror plays in the celebration of Halloween.


Why do you think people enjoy reading stories with monsters?

I think people enjoy reading stories with monsters because it gives them a chance to escape the realities of the real world. With aliens and zombies, there’s a certain disconnect that allows us to enjoy the fear “safely.” The fantasy of it is fascinating because most super apocalyptic events, such as zombie uprisings and alien invasions, aren’t likely to happen. 

Many readers think people are the most frightening monsters because of the evil humans are capable of inflicting upon one another. Do you agree, or do you think “bad guys” are just easier to accept than aliens or supernatural creatures?

I think people can easily be the most frightening monsters. When we look at history, we see that it is people who have committed some of the greatest acts of cruelty. That isn’t to say periods of famine or disease aren’t terrifying (consider the height of the Bubonic Plague for instance,) but it’s far easier to trust people than we lead ourselves to believe, which leaves our ability to be hurt by them even more unsettling.

What do you consider the most frightening aspect in your series, The Beautiful Ones?

I think the most unsettling aspect of The Beautiful Ones is the eugenics program the girls are selected for. We’ve always had stories of “Perfect” or “Master” people, and we’ve even had versions of them throughout history (Hitler’s “Perfect Race” is one I can reference quite easily.)  So, to think that in a dystopian future, people—especially young people—would be selected based off any number of physical traits is terrifying. It lends to the elitist idea that some people are better (or more important) than others, which is a sad and startling strand of thought.

Tell us about your latest series, The Plague Bloom. How is it different from any other undead series?

The Plague Bloom begins with A Deadly Bloom, and tells the story of a young woman named Bryce Song, whose people are journeying to a Promised Land to escape a deadly bloom whose spores raise the dead. It is my return to the high/dark fantasy genre, and is unique in that the undead return to life by way of pollen inhalation rather than viral infection.

The horror genre seems to be more prominent in the last year or two, as far as books, TV and film. Could this be because horror is also a commonly used element in other genres?

I feel that horror is experiencing a resurgence because it is a common element in other genres. People love to be scared (so long as it’s in a safe environment.) They love the rush of adrenaline in their veins, the what ifs? in their minds. Fact is: most of the subgenres of horror are safe to enjoy because they’re not likely to happen.

Is science fiction becoming the new horror?

I think science-fiction has always been a gateway to horror. Movies like The Thing are prime examples of how science-fiction concepts can be terrifying without being explicitly “horror” films. Ideas rooted in reality, or at least touching on reality, are always scary, which is why it’s not uncommon to see the two genres mashed together.

Do you think the horror genre has become commercialized like Halloween, or do you think the darker aspects are making a comeback?

I think anything that can be commercialized can and will be. I do, however, think that darker aspects have been making a comeback as of recent years, especially as it becomes more acceptable to like horror movies.

Why do you think people enjoy Halloween? What do you enjoy about the holiday?

I think people enjoy Halloween because it allows them a sense of escapism, the same as horror movies in general. For me, I personally enjoy the mainstream acceptance of ‘the dark’ things in life. Plus, there’s candy, AWESOME decorations at all most of the major chain stores, and dressing up!

Any more new releases coming in 2019? How can readers keep track of your new projects?

The last project(s) that will likely see release in 2019 will be the final Beautiful Ones novel, called The Battle Within, as well as a re-release of my second Kingsman Online novel Alt Control Save. Readers can always follow me on social media (Facebook is my primary social media haunt.) Or, if you prefer to just get release news, you can subscribe to my mailing list on my website, KodyBoye.com.


The Lair is giving away autographed paperbacks of the first two books in The Beautiful Ones series. To enter, just leave a comment below. A winner will be chosen on Halloween.

13 comments:

  1. I agree that "anything that can be commercialized can and will be" - They have pretty much run out of horror ideas and finding the rare gem that presents itself is harder than it seems. I spend a lot more time researching what I want to read before I open page one these days. Sometimes I like to go in blind, but if it stinks in the first few chapters, I tend to not give it a chance unless I see something redeeming about it on this site (and Goodreads, and Amazon, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't review anything I can't finish. Kody Boye consistently writes quality stories, so he's an author I can recommend to all readers.

      Delete
  2. The book sounds good. Ive had a hard time finding good ya horror books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger listed you as "unknown." Gonna need a name to enter, please.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes what scares me most is that just because we "can", doesn't me we "should". Just a year ago, Chinese scientist cloned macaques and intentionally altered their genes wich resulted in "reduced sleep, increased movement at night, schizophrenia-like behaviors, and signs of anxiety and depression". They said the benefit of this experiment is that it may potentially help humans. But ethically, this is not. Not to mention that there are no guarantees this would even be successful. These babies didn't ask to be born and abused this way. When we start along this line of thinking, life becomes more and more disposable. Thankfully, stories like The Beautiful Ones are just fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, several fiction writers have predicted real life events. Now THAT is frightening to me.

      Delete
    2. You are the winner. Please contact me through Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. I will need you to private message me your mailing address.

      Delete
  4. I agree people can be the most frightening monsters

    tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a longtime horror fan. I enjoy both supernatural & real horrors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I really worry for horror authors who have these characters in their heads.

      Delete
  6. I think I would love reading these Thanks for the great blog post.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kody Boye is one of my favorite authors in more than one genre, and I always enjoy interviewing him. I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete