Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Sunday With Scribner: Mind Blown

NESCATA by Joshua Scribner proved to be a difficult read for me. For at least half of the novel, I felt quite ignorant, as if I didn't have the IQ to grasp the plot. I'm still not sure I understand what in the hell takes place.

At first, I thought this might be an unusual take on time-travel, in which the consciousness is not bound in a linear fashion, but, by the end, I feel like maybe this is more about time-tampering by an ascended species...or I don't have clue about anything in this book.

Whatever Scribner is trying to get at, he could have gotten there with half the pages. The story is very disjointed, as if a schizophrenic wrote Jacob's POV. In fact, I don't even know if I can trust anything about Jacob's perception of events. For all I know, he could have been dying on the roof of his car, with his brain splattered across the back windshield, while his mind created everything as a justification for his suicide.

If anyone else attempts reading this novel, please share your thoughts with me.

As always,
AstraDaemon


Kody Boye is the winner of an autographed copy of The Bell House. I'll announce the next contest as soon as I get the Monday review up, which will be delayed until some time on Tuesday, due to a personal emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment