Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Should Be Titled Run

I have no home. Not anymore. I live off the land. Hunt small game to survive. Set up traps for rabbits and squirrels. If I'm lucky, I'll even catch a fox. I have to move constantly because the Hunters hunt humans. I'm smarter than rabbits, squirrels, and foxes. The Hunters are smarter than me.

Hunt by R.W. Taylor is a flash fiction story which takes place hundreds of years in the future. Another species is now top of the food chain and humans are food. Some of the scenes made me think of the Predator movies, although I did wonder if Earth had become Planet of the Rats (instead of Apes).

While the urgency of the narration kept me interested, I feel too much time is spent explaining how the survivor hunts rabbits. I wish the story had begun with the culling of the 32 humans, instead of simply picking up where the lone survivor escapes.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment