Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Friday, July 19, 2019

Accurate Book Descriptions Are Important

EDEN GARDENS by Louise Brown is not a love story. As far as I'm concerned this is a 1940s soap opera told through the alternating POVs of two very different women, Maisy and Pushpa. Also, the story has very little to do with Maisy's relationship with Sunil, the son of her tutor. Rather, this novel highlights the misfortune the women were born into, and the various ways they deal with their personal situations.

I had zero expectations when I picked up this book, so I wasn't disappointed by the lack of romance. I feel the real theme is overcoming adversity and discovering inner strength. In some ways, this is Maisy's coming of age story, with Pushpa's perspective added for depth. In other ways, this is Pushpa's narrative about following traditions, struggling with social mores, caste division and class warfare, with Maisy's view added to emphasize the clash of cultures.

I read this novel in one sitting, and I remained captivated from beginning to end. I have no idea who decided how to present this book to readers, but I think the ones who will enjoy it the most are the ones most likely to pass it up because of the misleading description. If you enjoy family dramas with historical events and cultural settings, give this novel a chance.

As always,
AstraDaemon


No comments:

Post a Comment