Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Must-Read Sci-Fi Thriller

EMILY ETERNAL by M.G. Wheaton is one of the best science fiction novels I've read in a long time, and one of the most creative stories I've read this year. This thriller is told from the POV of the artificial consciousness, which is fascinating all on its own, but the idea of a five-year science experiment attempting to save humanity in some form is just wild. Basically, the author has combined a crime drama in an E.L.E. setting with a sci-fi coming-of-age battle for survival. I never expected this level of drama in any way.

I read the book in one sitting -- could not put it down. Not only did I enjoy learning about Emily and her personal growth, but the thought of all life on Earth ceasing to exist in a matter of weeks kept me hooked. Humankind possibly being wiped out without a trace of existence already made the situation extremely intense, but when terrorists attack the laboratory just as Emily discovers a secret hidden in the coding she is recording and filing, I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next.

As if all that wasn't enough, Wheaton throws in yet another shocker towards the end. I began to think the author would need to write a sequel because I couldn't imagine how everything could be resolved before the last page. I knew better than to expect a tidy ending, but I couldn't have predicted the turn of events, even if I had Emily's capacity to solve problems.

On a side note, I appreciate the author's way of describing the technology within the novel. Sometimes I avoid science fiction because some authors throw in so much detail, I feel like I need a PhD to sort it all out. Wheaton avoids overly complex explanations, while keeping everything feasible. This is definitely a novel I can recommend to a wide range of readers.

As always,
AstraDaemon

1 comment:

  1. I am going to need to find the Fountain of Youth if I ever hope to read my TBR and keep up with your recommendations! Love ya, Ursula!

    ReplyDelete