Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Only Skin Deep

THE GIRL WITHOUT A FACE by Rebecca R. Pierce left me with mixed feelings. First of all, I love the fairytale elements of the story, which is the reason I'm a fan of Pierce's stories. Veila's inner thoughts about her relationships with those around her kept me interested, especially with the introduction of her new friend, and, of course, the fae twists throughout the story.

Unfortunately, while this began as a coming-of-age-story, it ended as a love story, and I would have preferred one or the other. Either have Veila find her own way out of the curse, or spend more time on the romance, perhaps revealing more about her mysterious suitor. Seems almost sad Veila would be so desperate for someone to love her, she would accept a stranger without a backstory.

Normally, I would never get so hung up on the details of a short tale, but I've come to expect far more from the author. Strangely enough, I think the missing horror element Pierce usually mixes in would have given the story more depth.

As always,
AstraDaemon


No comments:

Post a Comment