Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, November 2, 2020

New Episode of The Game | AstraDaemon

MURDER HOUSE: WHO WILL SURVIVE? (THE GAME BOOK 5) by Matt Shaw is (obviously) one of his infamous black cover books, which I usually try to avoid because my level of comfort with the author's brand of horror stops at the Octopus trilogy. I chose to read this one because I am one of the characters, but I've also found Shaw's creations during 2020 to be quite entertaining. Apparently, being locked down stokes his dark imagination.

While there are small references to previous installments in The Game series, this novella can function as a stand-alone. Also, this black cover book is rather tame compared to some of the bits and pieces I've seen quoted from the others. I love the crime noir Shaw worked into the storyline. Shaw may have made a name for himself with graphic horror, but he has a real flair for drama within relationships.

As always,
AstraDaemon

3 comments:

  1. I have always tried to avoid books that are a series due to my issue that I am easily bored. It took a lot to trudge through the Dark Tower, The Green Mile, and others of their like, so I might have to skip this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He writes them in a way in which they are stand-alones, but with connections to one another. I have only been able to stomach one other story in this series.

      Delete
    2. I'll keep my eye out for them.

      Delete