Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Setting the Web on Fire | AstraDaemon

PEST by Matt Shaw is not for those with weak stomachs. I began gagging on page 16, but I remained determined to read the story to the very end. I thought I knew what to expect, but the author filled the pages with all kinds of disgusting surprises. (I gagged again over page 55.)

Shaw isn't your typical "extreme horror" author, many of which only deal in shock and gore. His characters are well developed, and he transforms even the most mundane settings into something traumatizing.

I had no idea where the author would take the story, but the ending is an absolute masterpiece. Do whatever you have to get through the gross parts because the epilogue is one of the best reveals I've ever read.

As always,
AstraDaemon

1 comment:

  1. You had my curiosity ... but now you have my attention. In my bin (my wife is going to be so peeved)

    ReplyDelete