Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Purgatory-Horror | AstraDaemon

FROM THE FLAMES by Matt Shaw is absolutely brilliant. Everything from the presentation to the variety of characters is well-written. He has taken common themes such as amnesia, a backwoods family, and more (no spoilers), and blended them together so flawlessly, I believe Shaw has created his own sub-genre of purgatory-horror with this novella.

Despite having read dozens of stories by this author, I still had no idea where he would take his readers with this one. This is what I enjoy most about Shaw's storytelling: he always finds a way to surprise his fans. I never know what bodily fluid will be spewed across the pages, or what kind of mental trauma I'll experience while reading his work.

This is defiinitely my new favorite Shaw story, and I'm hoping the ending means there will be a sequel about life (and death) behind the wall.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment