Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Mr. Pinkerton

How I Started The Apocalypse by Brian Pinkerton was far more serious than I expected. In fact, I most likely would not have read a book with this title and cover art (based on the cheese factor), but I’m a big fan of Severed Press, so I gave it a chance.
Having read several other zombie novels featuring thinking undead, I didn’t have a problem with the main character being an intelligent zombie – I was curious how it would tie in with the title, and ended up reading it in one sitting. I thought his POV was pretty interesting, considering he had memories of his former life as well as his demise, so his struggle with reanimation was an unusual twist on the theme of self-discovery.
I especially liked the extra storyline running parallel to the main plot: not only do you have a guy endeavouring to accept that he is a zombie, but he finds out his death wasn’t an accident, and he wants revenge.
I did think some of the characters were a bit unrealistic, but they didn’t ruin the story for me, and I liked the rotating POV between the zombie and the agent hunting him.
(I’m intentionally being vague in this review because I don’t want to post spoilers.) I’m assuming the book is intended to be a stand-alone, but the ending was kind of teaser that had me wondering if the author was leaving his options open...turns out that Pinkerton did turn this into a zombie trilogy.
If you’re looking for something a bit different for your zombie lit collection, I recommend this one.
As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment