Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Strange Societies

Only true warriors can police Earth-Government, warriors who can kill without hesitation, but Klay, genetically enhanced and constantly ridiculed because he is different, doesn’t possess the killer instinct, so when he’s called upon for his final trials in combat, he will fail the test and die. However, Master has given him the skills for battle. Klay just needs a little motivation, which comes in the slender form of fellow student Zasha. With her life in danger, he will do anything to save her, even kill for her... if only it were that easy.

THE TOURNAMENT by Dean Giles is not what I've come to expect from the author. There is not a lot of personal details revealed about the main character, Klay. I had trouble visualising him based on the limited info...I only know that he is augmented with machinery of some sort. While I understand the story is about Klay's test trial, I think readers will want to know exactly what has been done to his body in the first place...especially since Klay was ostracised for it.

I did enjoy the complexity of his test, his inner struggle with taking a life, and the way he overcame the obstacles in his way. The science fiction setting is superb. I'm sure a lot of sci-fi fans will enjoy this one, even though I feel GHOST IN THE MACHINE is his best story.



I also recommend his ALIEN APOCALYPSE mini-series.


As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment