Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, January 21, 2019

Burden My Soul

The year is 2009, and the world’s financial and publishing sectors are in chaos. In the midst of this disarray, a burned-out horror writer finds himself haunted by a variety of ghosts, both real and metaphorical. And as the ghosts increase their attacks, his struggle to make a living quickly becomes a fight to hold on to his family – and his very sanity.

THE GIRL ON THE GLIDER by Brian Keene is nothing like any of his work I've read previously. On a related note, readers should probably read all of the Keene stories published before this one, in order to truly appreciate the personal POV.

The setup is painfully slow, not unlike watching an artist create a landscape and waiting for all the strokes to form something recognizable. The details are obviously necessary, but the pace is similar to watching paint dry.

While a few parts freaked me out enough that I jumped when my 13 yr old walked into the room (dressed in black), I didn't really feel much of anything for this story. Simply isn't my flavor of Keene.

I'm still recommending this one to fans of the author...there is some terrific literary insight to be had.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment