Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Deadly Rental

A lost child.
A marriage shattered beyond repair?
John Baxter doesn't think so, which is why he has planned this weekend getaway with his wife. He expected a lot of shouting, a lot of tears, but in the end, he hoped to have a stronger foundation upon which they could start rebuilding what they had once had.
What he wasn't expecting was the home invasion…
…and the hell that awaited them beneath the rented cabin.


WEEKEND GETAWAY by Tom Deady is another offering from Grinning Skull Press, one which gave me nightmares (no joke). While I read the story in a brief amount of time, I had to put my Kindle down more than once for relief from the intense scenes inside the cabin. I felt the pain of Deady's characters too clearly, and the thought of living through a weekend like this is a terrifying thought.

The book description doesn't even come close to describing the terror John Baxter has to face in his misguided attempt to save his marriage. Knowing he survives, as he reveals to his grandson why he is missing a finger through flashbacks, offers little to no comfort. I am impressed with the multiple turn of events in the basement...Deady knows how to keep his readers captivated.

I've never heard of Tom Deady before reading this story, but I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment