Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Lovecraftian Puppet Masters


THEM by James Watts begins with a foreword by another author, Chris Miller, and I love it. I think horror fans who enjoy novels by Stephen King and Brian Keene are going to dig what he has to say. The author did well to choose Miller as a wing man for this novel.

As for the story itself, Watts combines family drama with supernatural horror to create a nightmare homecoming for Ray Sanders. The small town culture is the perfect setting for the interactions between the residents and the Odomulites. As Ray discovers his town's secret and his family's involvement, the POV begins to rotate between key characters.

The story is filled with all kinds of gruesome action, and the descriptions had me gagging and retching my way through the book. I think it might be a while before I go down into my basement...in the meantime, I highly recommend this one to all horror fans.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment