Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Changing Lanes In Roads Less Traveled

In PHOENIX, the Roads Less Traveled universe is expanded in unexpected ways, the events of which take place parallel to the events of Books One, Two, and Three. We will follow a new cast of characters, led by Brad Lincoln... though you may receive a visit from some old, familiar faces. Those of you who have followed the series will recognize our protagonist, Brad, from the ending of SHADES OF GRAY. It is his story we will see, and how his team fought to the very end to save us all.

PHOENIX by C. Dulaney is the fourth book in the series, but is more or less a new storyline set in the Roads Less Traveled apocalypse. When I first began reading this one, I thought, "Oh for crying out loud! Psychics?! Really?! Way to ruin a great zombie series..." I am not normally a fan of the supernatural being mixed with the undead. I felt certain I would be put off Dulaney's writing forever. WRONG!

First of all, and this is very important, do NOT read Phoenix until AFTER you read the other three books in the series. It will make a huge difference in what you get out of this novel. As a fan, I became really excited when I recognized characters from Kasey's story making cameos.

There is not as much character development as the first three novels, but Book 4 adds an incredible depth to the series as a whole. It is quite heart-wrenching, and I am eagerly awaiting the final book in the series, with this new insight into Dulaney's zombie apocalypse.

I will warn readers the setup is a bit slow, and the zombie action doesn't really get under way until much later in the book. However, I feel this is a must-read for fans of the series.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment