Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, February 28, 2021

A Quiet Interview | AstraDaemon

Back in October of 2019, I read an apocalypse story unlike any I have read before or since: A QUIET APOCALYPSE. There are no zombies, nothing supernatural of any kind...only people enslaving other people. After an illness renders most people deaf, the hearing are hunted down to become servants for the newly hearing impaired. Those born deaf are given a much more terrifying treatment, as they are blamed for the virus which causes the loss of hearing.

About a year and half later, I read the sequel: CATHEDRAL. While Book 1 is told from the POV of a Hark, someone who can still hear, Book 2 is told from the POV of a virus survivor who is deaf. Readers are shown how they have adjusted to their condition, as well as the terrifying way they justify victimizing Harks and Harbingers (the slur for deaf-born). I knew the people in Cathedral were irrational, but I had no idea just how truly insane they have become.

I decided to invite the author, Dave Jeffery, to the Lair, in order to discuss his unusual pandemic nightmare...



Did you ever expect so much interest in A Quiet Apocalypse?


First of all, a huge ‘thank you’ to AstraDaemon’s Lair for inviting me along to chat. I love your site and feel honored to be here. In terms of your question, I knew that the idea was unique, but never thought it would be so well received on that basis. The book itself was conceived as a short story, and I never thought beyond that, if I’m honest. I got to a first draft and the file was somehow wiped from my old laptop during its Windows 10 upgrade and I thought that it was an omen the story wasn’t quite finished. I dusted down my notes and rewrote the draft again, but this time with the thought of a longer piece in my head.

The current Covid-19 situation has, to my total surprise, galvanized people into buying the book based on its realistic premise. Far from shying away from post-apocalyptic fiction during a very real pandemic, readers appear drawn to A Quiet Apocalypse’s realistic style.

Why choose loss of hearing as the post-apocalyptic trait? Do you have a personal connection to deaf culture?

The concept originates from my work with the culturally Deaf back in the 90s. I was a mental health professional for over nine years, working solely with Deaf community, and fluent in British Sign Language (BSL). A hearing person made a statement that they would be terrified of being deaf, and this got me thinking about a story where all people in the world became deaf. The more nuanced material in the story, that of culturally Deaf people being wrongly blamed and victimized for the disease, came as the story development progressed. It took a good ten years before I realized that I had something in terms of a viable story. I don’t tend to rush these things, not when you have a premise as original as that of A QUIET APOCALYPSE, you have to get it right from the off.

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with Meniere’s Disease, a condition that affects the inner ear. I only have 35% hearing in my right ear and wear an aid. I used to consider the real possibility of losing my hearing, although this is now unlikely as I have lived with the disease for over 10 years and it only affects one ear. Yet, and this is the truth, I have never feared going deaf as I know there is a vibrant community to which I would be able to turn for support.

Is this series a way to include a new POV in the apocalypse genre, or is this your way of showing how history repeats itself – especially the dark parts?

The first person POV is a deliberate device to isolate the protagonist, and consequently the reader, so that it reflects the sensory loss in the story. This has its advantages and disadvantages. An advantage is that you are trapped in the world of a single person, interpreting it through their eyes, experiencing it first-hand, giving the whole situation a claustrophobic, almost suffocating, lens. A disadvantage is that some readers struggle with the notion of not being able to know everything there is about the world outside. This has drawbacks in that they may make assumptions of what the world is about, and consider this a failing of the story when they may have misinterpreted what is going on as they only have the perspective of one character. A QUIET APOCALYPSE is a series, and I can assure those readers that burning questions will be answered, but over time, during the course of the series.

Thinking of it as a TV show that you can’t binge-watch is the best way to approach the series. Each book may well be self-contained, but the universe is on a continuum and the patient reader will be rewarded with answers. Honest!

Have you had any feedback from deaf readers? If so, what do they think of the horror you’ve created?

Not as of yet. I look forward to reading their thoughts, though. Such feedback would help shape future stories for sure.

You began the series with an enslaved-hearing man, then switched to a stricken-deaf resident of Cathedral for your second installment. In both, the characters born deaf have mostly been used to precipitate a major plot point or to reflect the insanity of the afflicted. Will readers be given an entire book from the POV of a naturally deaf person?

Without wanting to give the game away too much, there may well be a reference point that uses this scenario. It is likely to be in book 4, where we have a coming together of various storylines, but in a novel way. I know this seems ambiguous, but that’s deliberate as I want this to be a surprise for the readers.

Is there any chance of Chris and Sarah crossing paths with one another before the series is over?

I wouldn’t rule out anything purely based on the road ahead. The joy of the series is that readers can envisage the stories running in parallel, or being concurrent, or happening in two different decades. Until the final story is told, I guess we’ll never quite know, but we can consider how things will pan out but, much like life, not all plans come to fruition.

You also have another series gaining in popularity: Frostbite. Please tell readers a bit about the storyline.

FROSTBITE (SEVERED PRESS) is a very different genre. Basically, it is my take on the yeti mythology but with a twist. One thing I never want to do is tread the same path as other writers, so I try to put my own spin on it. How many times have we seem people lost on a mountain or in the wilderness, stalked by savage creatures determined to wipe them out? As thrilling as that scenario may be, as a writer I find it personally tedious.

My tale is set against the backdrop of a secret alien invasion. A group of mercenaries duped into the rescue of a professor’s son find themselves on the slopes of the Himalayas for nefarious purposes. As they deal with a double-cross, they also face both mythical yetis and extraterrestrial beings who have wiped out the yeti population to use them as war machines. The yetis are victims of the invaders, with their own culture and mythos. I have deliberately moved away from the idea of these incredible creatures being mere monsters, devoid of empathy or civilization. The story is no-hold-barred and very left-field and unashamedly pulp in its approach. Fans certainly love the dynamics between Knowles, the foul-mouthed mercenary and Sully, her yeti sidekick. BOOK 2: LABYRINTH was released a few months ago and the response has, again, been very positive. BOOK 3: EARTHFALL will be released in 2022.

What can fans expect from you in 2021?

The third A QUIET APOCALYPSE book will be released this year. It is called THE SAMARITAN and is currently with my publisher, Dean M Drinkel at DEMAIN PUBLISHING. I am also writing the sixth Beatrice Beecham supernatural adventure/mystery book (THE DEVIL DEVICE) for CROSSROAD PRESS and a sci-fi horror novel called HYMNS FOR DEAD STARS, again for DEMAIN PUBLISHING. I’m lucky enough to be very busy, with more titles planned for release next year and beyond. I just want to say that I’m genuinely grateful to anyone who invests time and money into what I do. This, of course, includes AstraDaemon’s Lair! It is appreciated very much.


I am a huge fan of Dave Jeffery, so I also recommend his werewolf novel, TOOTH & CLAW (Grinning Skull Press), which also has a sequel on the way.

As always,
AstraDaemon

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! Thanks for mentioning Tooth and Claw, I need to reread it (even though it's not that old :) )

    ReplyDelete