Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Best Friend Betrayal | Horror Review | AstraDaemon

Happy New Year!

I'm sure many of you thought I abandoned the Lair...I suppose, in a way, I did. I simply had to step away to handle several back-to-back family emergencies. Never in my life did I think I'd be calling an ambulance for both my husband and my son in the same year. All is well within our household now, so I hope to resume posting daily.

I did read throughout 2022 (362 titles, according to my Kindle app), and I will be back-posting reviews for those stories...no idea how long it will take me, but I'm determined to fill the emptiness of last year.

With that addressed, I thought I'd begin the year with one of my favorite authors...


SOMETHING UNNATURAL by Joshua Scribner is a novella centered on a family struggling to survive an apocalyptic event. While the author is best known for his flash fiction, he does write longer stories every once in a while, and they are usually mind-blowing. This one is no exception.

I love how Scribner mixes theology, folklore, science and horror to create a terrifying battle between humans and canines. Fair warning, there a few scenes which might upset animal lovers, but the sinister details prove rather important in the end.

This story is a stand-alone, but I wouldn't mind another one set in this global event. In fact, I'd love to see the story told from Bo's POV.

If you've never read Scribner's work before, this is an excellent starting point.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment