Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Hometown Horror

Twenty years ago, Doug gave up the love of his life for the life of a farmer. Now, the dying town of Sandy has found sudden new life as old faces return, pulling the town back from the brink of collapse.

But not everything is right in Sandy - the town's newest residents are a little funny and when Doug's high school sweetheart, Ellie, calls him out of the blue he'll find that home sweet home hides a dark secret.


Sandy's Revival by Jack Bixby takes small-town mentality to a supernatural level. This story touched a nerve with me...I'm someone who left a town like Sandy - I still have nightmares about the place, decades after leaving...and, now, the place is much larger with most everyone having returned. If I didn't know any better, I would think Bixby wrote about my hometown.

Doug's character seems so sad. I'm unsure if his choice of farming gave him any joy. His initial excitement at seeing a familiar face come back to Sandy is heartbreaking in a way. I wish more had been revealed about the Wanderer, but I love the ending. The story is like an episode of The Twilight Zone.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment