Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Tuesday Tunes: Art of Anarchy


I simply don't believe it's possible to enjoy a good book without the proper music playing in the background. While I listen to all kinds of music, hard rock and metal will always be my go-to genres, especially if I'm reading horror stories. Movies have soundtracks, why not books? Some authors will provide a list of the songs they listened to while writing, but the music which fuels creativity is not always the same sound which sets the mood for reading.

This week's Tuesday Tunes are brought to you by the rock band Art of Anarchy, and, just like the horror genre, this band is no stranger to controversy...but I don't give a crap about any of that. You shouldn't either. The fact remains, after two albums with two different lead vocals, the soul of their sound remains intact. I have no doubt the third album created by Moyer, Thal and the Votta brothers will still blow us all away.

Their self-titled album, with frontman Scott Weiland (R.I.P.), is reminiscent of the grunge genre, but so much better. Ironically, I'm well-known among my friends for blaming the downfall of society on the grunge movement in the 90s, but I can't deny the power of the deep lyrics and killer riffs of AoA's debut album. It's as if they took the heart of grunge and used electric fire to forge it into something wicked and wild.

I love their second album, The Madness, even more, which surprised me. I hated Creed, back in the day. The music definitely makes the man, as AoA breathed new life into Scott Stapp's vocals with this album release. Too bad the band can't find a frontman who appreciates the fire of AoA, instead of pissing on it...but, again, I recommend not giving a crap about those details.

My point is, between the two albums, Art of Anarchy is an excellent choice for background reading music for just about any story. I've played these albums for horror, steampunk, supernatural and many other sub-genres of fiction...for both novels and anthologies, but AoA really blends well with a solid book series.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment