Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Friday, February 8, 2019

The Night Is Still Early

Western Romance. Young woman sets her sights on a man, ignoring the fact that he doesn't want to get married.

FRISCO by Abe Evergreen is nothing like the stories I am used to reading, not even the romance novels I used to read in the distant past, so I'm not sure how I feel about it, to be honest. I kept expecting something supernatural or violent to happen.

I suppose I could describe Frisco as a coming of age story, but not much is revealed about the main character, Chita, even though the story is told through her POV. In fact, very few details are revealed about anyone or anything: Jackson Jones (her love interest), her family (aside from owning a large ranch) or Frisco (the town she's in).

The writing style and plot is so extremely different from anything I've read by Evergreen before now, I'm not sure why he bothered to write this short at all. I hope the author has decide to stick with science fiction.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment