Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Familiar Formula | AstraDaemon

CARDINAL RULES by Brady Phoenix is reminiscent of an 80s slasher film, with the killer wanting revenge for some perceived wrong-doing. However, I would describe this novel more as a crime-thriller, with intense relationship drama playing out in two different timelines. The mystery surrounding the Cardinal killer kept me hooked from beginning to end, and I think many horror fans would enjoy this story.

Unfortunately, I think some are going to pass this up just because the characters are LGBTQ+, which is ridiculous. First of all, this is not erotica, nor are there any overtly sexual scenes, so no one can use that as an excuse to skip this one. Second, this is basically the same formula as most thrillers: a bunch of young people (which includes several typical characters such as the nice guy and the major AH) are trying to have a good time, but someone is killing them off. Last but not least, the characters are dealing with personal issues that many of us could relate to, such as friends who don't get along with each other, domestic abuse and personal tragedies.

With all that said, I would have preferred more action scenes and a little less dialogue...I will admit I was expecting a more brutal horror plot. However, I'm still recommending this book because I like seeing more variety in the groups of people portrayed in fiction, whether it's horror or other genres.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment