Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, July 3, 2021

Homecoming | Short Story Review | AstraDaemon

THERE ARE MONSTERS HERE by Cameron Chaney has a premise which hooked me immediately: a family with personal monsters. Everyone has their own demonic entity to follow them around, taunting and tormenting them, but each person can only see their own. (Marrying into the family guarantees you a monster, as well.)

At first, I thought the narrator was just being metaphorical, but, no, his family has apparently been cursed or something similar. The pace is a bit on the slow side, but I think it's necessary to get readers on the same level of desperation as the main character.

I wish more had been revealed about the woods behind the family home, but the ending is still satisfying. If you haven't read this one, I recommend checking it out.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment