Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Pass the Bucket | Extreme Horror Review | AstraDaemon

WITH CHILD: EXTREME HORROR by Sea Caumissar is absolutely brutal and filled with very graphic violence of a specific nature. I venture into extreme horror every now and then, but I don't usually have the stomach for it. This novella pushed me far beyond my comfort zone. I haven't been this traumatized since I watched A Serbian Film.

However, if you are a regular fan of the sub-genre, you will likely enjoy this story. Caumissar keeps readers guessing, refusing to name the sadistic killer until the very end, and giving plenty of reasons to suspect more than one character. I wasn't expecting a happy ending, but I'm vexed just the same. Might sound strange, but I was hoping for a killer vs. killer outcome.

Some might attempt to argue this is exploitive or unnecessarily graphic, but I think the author did a decent job balancing the gore with the element of crime drama.

Read at your own risk.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment