Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Spiteful Ex | Short Story Review

Dino is a documentary filmmaker, haunted by the ghost of his ex-girlfriend who was killed in a car crash while with another man. As Dino shoots his latest documentary on the vandalism occurring in the woods of his hometown, he tries to move on from her unexpected death. But when his life starts to look up, the ghost encroaches on his property. The focus of the film begins to blur as the lens of the camera shifts onto Dino, the director succumbing to his ghostly obsession.

REVERSE DOCUMENTARY by Marisela Navarro is one of the most vexing stories I've ever read. I think I've been on Reddit too much because I wanted Dino to confront the ghost about the guy in the car. I don't think I've ever disliked a ghost so much before now. The ending is like salt in the wound.

In other words, I love the writing. Anytime I get this worked up about characters, it's a sure sign the story-telling is awesome. This is one of the reasons I love reading: to feel all kinds of emotions.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment