Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, November 29, 2021

Familiar Fable | Short Story Review

THE MAIDEN THIEF by Melissa Marr gave me déjà vu. I felt as if I had read this story before, but I knew I hadn't. I didn't realize this was a re-telling of the French folk story Bluebeard, until I read some of the other reviews.

While the original tale is quite gruesome, this version is more psychological. Verena also makes for a better protagonist. Even though I recognized elements of Perrault's creation in Marr's work, I think the author did a good job reconstructing this legend into a short centered on female empowerment.

I enjoyed this much more than OF ROSES AND KINGS. I wish the author would return to this writing style.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment