Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, November 8, 2021

Over-Hyped | Horror Review | AstraDaemon

NOTHING BUT BLACKENED TEETH by Cassandra Khaw is one of the most over-hyped stories I've ever read. While well-written, and steeped in suspense, there's not much in the way of action, dialogue, or the supernatural. I expected to be frightened, but She-With-The-Blackened-Teeth doesn't even come close to the Japanese horror I hoped for.

The characters are the weakest part of the story. You have the pretty boy who has apparently slept with both the females in the group. The narrator who is suffering from mental illness, and has had a dysfunctional relationship with all three guys. The chick who can't stand the narrator because of jealousy issues. The guy hopelessly in love the jealous chick, and the married guy who only showed up to see his ex-girlfriend. Zero character development, and pitiful interactions.

I wanted them all to die, but, alas, no happy ending for the reader, just a really self-centered summary, courtesy of the narrator, who manages to make everything be about her.

I very rarely bring up the cost of a book (because I really do try to respect the time and effort authors put into their creations), but I don't think this story is worth the full price I paid...not for a lackluster novella.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment