Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Karma Is A Witch

After being thrown to a time portal by Nora Bell’s magic, Marianne finds herself face to face with her own past, one she must now share with Marcus. Will witnessing the life events, that led to having met her at Stuart Harlow’s mansion, change the way he sees her? And will his worry about having left Cai alone, back in their own time, allow him to stay focused and clear headed, around a woman who once held such allure over him?
Will Cai and Nora find a way to bring Marcus back from the past?
And will they condemn Marianne to stay locked there, with her own demons?


Marianne by Ruth Miranda is the third book in the Blood trilogy.In the first book, Blood, Caius realizes his family has been keeping several secrets from him, only to be faced with blood, teeth, lies and deceit, as Cai attempts to find the truth behind his many "gifts." Scars, the second book, jumps ahead two years, as Caius and his twin brother Marcus search for their negligent father. Using preternatural characters, Miranda addresses family drama from physical abuse and traumatic loss to issues such as self-cutting, depression and addiction throughout her trilogy.

Marianne, a witch with her own twisted secrets, adds yet another complication to the lives of the brothers. However, in a twisted way, she strengthens the bond between the twins. I had a strong dislike for Marianne, until this book. Once her backstory is revealed, she didn't strike me as the evil narcissist I took her for. Suddenly, everything about her made sense.

I enjoyed this installment more than the second one, but not quite as much as the first. Miranda included a lot of sex and graphic violence not present in Blood and Scars. I understand the necessity, but I felt like the author lost some of what sets her apart from other writers in this genre by using overdone plot devices. Ironically, much like Marcus, I can't get enough of the witch.

The ending is an absolute shocker. I felt like the author burst into my living room and kicked me in the face...I could not have been more caught off guard. Thankfully, Miranda included an author's note to dull the pain. I can't wait to read more from this author!

As always,
AstraDaemon

2 comments:

  1. I actually felt the ending was rather satisfying ihihih. Thank you for your review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather feel kicked in the face than feel nothing at all. I can always count on your writing style to elicit all kinds of emotions from me.

      Can't wait to see what you've been working on! Cheers!

      Delete