Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, April 22, 2019

Music Monday: Billy Idol



"If your world doesn't allow you to dream, move to one where you can."
~Billy Idol

“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

MUSIC MONDAY returns with none other than one of the coolest gents to blend storytelling and music, Billy Idol. By now, it should be obvious I consider myself an 80s child, and Idol's albums have been the soundtracks for a lot of great memories from my youth. I'm happy to say, the artist is still providing a killer sound for all my literary journeys with his album, Kings & Queens of the Underground. I missed this gem in 2014 because my local DJs have perpetual hard-ons for GNR and Metallica, but I've played the crap out of this album since I discovered its existence.

Unlike some aging rockers, Billy Idol has managed not to trash his vocal chords, and his lovely voice sounds just as sultry and powerful as ever. With this album, his lyrics reflect his personal growth, while the music retains that rocking beat which made him iconic. I'm particularly pleased to hear Steve Stevens has paired up with Idol once again. Took me quite a while to stop playing Save Me Now on repeat, but I did eventually listen to the rest of the album.

KQU is a far better album than Cyberpunk and Devil's Playground. Even though all the songs have something to offer Idol fans, my favorite tracks, Save Me Now, One Breath Away, Postcards From The Past, Nothing To Fear and Love And Glory, left me feeling like I had traveled to a world of leather, sweat and a damn good time.

My reading recommendations to accompany this album: the anthology DEADSVILLE (13 tales of horror), the anthology TIMES OF TROUBLE (time travel sci-fi), and the novel PROJECT HINDSIGHT (mystery-thriller).

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment