Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Friday, September 6, 2019

Teddy Bear vs. Monster

I'M ALL ALONE AND IT'S GETTING DARK by Brandon Lee Hayes is a story told from a child's POV. He wakes up from a nightmare to pee and finds the babysitter missing.

I freakin' love the teddy bear talking to the kid! (This story made me think of the illustration of a toy bear using a sword to defend the sleeping child from a monster.) Even though I thought the monster might be the child's perception of an intruder, the description is truly frightening. Roosevelt is the kind of bear I'd want my kid to have.

The news story at the end is a great touch, making me question everything about the child's experience. I recommend this story to all readers.

As always,
AstraDaemon

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you liked the story! Roosevelt was a character I was unsure of at first but i'm really glad I wrote him in.

    My intent definitely was to make it ambiguous if it was an over active imagination or a real person in the house.

    Thank you so much for supporting me! I appreciate the blog post and look forward to seeing more content from you.

    ReplyDelete