Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Ugh, Another Series | Horror Review | AstraDaemon

THE FIRST ORDER by Amy Cross takes place in 1956. A young nun names June is sent to a Swiss Castle to assist another nun and a priest while they conduct secret experiments. Eventually she discovers a prisoner who begs to be set free. June finds herself torn between what she has been taught and what she has seen with her own eyes, and she begins to doubt her faith.

The nun and the priest remind me of the sick, twisted characters found in The Pillars of the Earth. June's lack of conviction in anything is annoying. I wish more background had been revealed about the prisoner. However, despite my frustrations, I remained captivated with the story.

I thought this was a stand-alone, and the ending appeared to tie everything up, but there will be a sequel in this new series, The Chronicles of Sister June. I'm not intrigued by June enough to continue with the second installment.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment