Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Some Kids Will Put Anything In Their Mouths

A therapist meets with a very odd little boy.

Don't Bite by Joshua Scribner is a flash fiction piece about a little boy with a dark secret. The story isn't as straight-forward as you might expect. While the ending is somewhat predictable, the reason for the boy's actions is a surprising take on a bit of folklore.


This story reminded me of the time I bit a bully in the first grade. We lived in Alaska at the time and we were on the school playground, so we were pretty bundled up.

The kid was about three years older, in the third grade, and bigger than anyone else on the playground. He terrorized everyone, not just me. That day he had cut in line in front of me, and I finally snapped...grabbed his arm and chomped down. I bit him so hard, even with his poofy jacket and all his layers, I left teeth marks on his skin. He cried. I gloated.

I had to take a note home, explaining what I did. My dad asked me why I bit the kid. I told him how I had been bullied for months and had enough, but I knew I was too small to take the boy in a fair fight, so biting was the logical choice in my 5 yr old mind.

My dad told me not to bite anyone else and taught me some self-defense moves...

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment