Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, June 10, 2019

Jeremey Deserves Better

SIEGE OF THE BONE CHILDREN by Erik Lynd begins with a grieving father and a memory of a cryptic revelation from his son: "Not me dad, you." Malcom didn't understand why his son felt the need to build a cardboard fort for him, nor did he realize it would be the last thing they did together, before his son is killed in an accident.

"The creaking of the stairs woke him from a sweaty sleep."

From that point on, I was absolutely terrified for Malcom. I also wondered, more than once, if Jeremy had some special gift of sight. I experienced this nightmare as both a parent and a child. Malcolm's son included so many surprises within the fort, increasing the the suspense and drama with every detail. The ending, unfortunately, really aggravated the hell out of me.

I hate to be THAT reviewer, but I can think of several other ways Lynd could've chosen to end the battle. I think Lynd basically gave the finger to Malcolm, and the author needs to do right by Jeremy. PLEASE WRITE A SEQUEL.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment