Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Written In Blood

THE PEN NAME by David Jacob Knight is traditional horror without the excessive gore, a collaboration of two gifted authors who both have the ability to work well with different sub-genres of horror, and appeal to a variety of readers. This novel provides some realistic dark fiction, inducing paranoia among the literary community with this frightening tale of a publishing company which steals souls.

The aspect which really makes THE PEN NAME an entertaining read for me is the detail put into the characters' personalities. I felt very emotionally invested in the fate of Ben Little and his family, after his rash decision made in a desperate attempt to provide financially for his family. I often found myself yelling at Ben...whenever I get so disgusted with a character's decisions and actions, it's usually a good sign I'm lost deep in the plot.

The ending is particularly creative, as well as unexpected. This is a nice break from the usual horror fiction I read.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment