Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Fresh Blood

SNOW DAY by Dan Maurer begins in 1975, jumps forward to 2013, and eventually evolves into a personal account of a man's terrifying childhood experience told through the POV of his 10 year old self. If you prefer Stephen King's earlier storytelling, I think you will really enjoy Maurer's writing style. I know I haven't read anything like this in YEARS. I am very impressed with Maurer's ability create a horrific masterpiece without gore or fantastical monsters.

For over 35 years, each winter, Billy Stone has the same horrible dreams. The dreams began after a childhood day in the snow ended in a terrible tragedy. I had absolutely no idea what to expect. This novella is the perfect example of why I fell into the horror genre in the first place, many decades ago. I can honestly say this is one of the best horror/drama/thrillers I've ever read.

I'm hoping Maurer is given more attention because I feel, although the sub-genres such as zombie-lit and supernatural tales are doing quite well, the horror genre in general is in dire need of fresh blood (no pun intended).

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment