Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Forget Adventure, Choose Your Own Death

FINAL SKY by Elias Witherow is unlike anything I've ever read before, even the author's previous work. The concept of a world held by a chain over a void is mind-boggling, not to mention the explosive Rockflesh disease which releases poisonous gas. I have no idea how the author creates such a complex dystopian fantasy with so much brutal detail, and I'm not sure I want to know. Witherow's imagination is quite frightening at times, and this story is no exception.

The action scenes are both thrilling and terrifying, but there is one scene in particular which requires a strong stomach. When Liam and Desmond finally meet, prepare yourself for a horror which makes Game of Thrones look tame. As if surviving Desmond's cruelty isn't enough of a challenge, Liam loses what is left of his mind when he discovers what is on the other end of The Chain. Witherow surpasses Lovecraft with the Old Horns.

If you are looking for something more earth-bound, I recommend THE THIRD PARENT, which used to be my favorite story by Witherow, until I read this novel.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment