Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Friday, June 5, 2020

Bailey's Back!!

ELFRIC by S.O. Bailey appears to be a fantasy story, which doesn't surprise me, since the author has always had a strong folklore element in his short stories. Readers are introduced to Elfric Gudmund, who has lost his wife to the Plague of Bane, and now the ever-growing Kingdom of Rockwell threatens to take his farmland as well.

However, Bailey seldom writes anything straightforward, and when the twist is revealed, an entire range of emotions rippled through me. The author has found a way to mix fantasy and suspense to teach compassion for others, especially those who have suffered great loss. Elfric is Bailey's best work yet, and making my Top 2020 list.

As always,
AstraDaemon

1 comment:

  1. I am back indeed! Thank you for the fantastic review Ursula. I'll see you back here in about a week ;)

    ReplyDelete