Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Teen Drama With Zombies

DEATH WAS JUST A JOKE by N.C. Brooke begins with the disappearance of a high school athlete. At first, the characters appear to be mourning the murder of a young man, until the author reveals the post-apocalypse setting. I love the setup.

As if the survivor community hasn't experienced enough horror, a group of teens decide to use a Ouija board at a party, taking place outside of the protective fence. Unsurprisingly, events take a turn for the worst.

The pace is really slow, without much action...I felt like I was reading a zombie soap opera written for middle-schoolers. I still think Voices In The Sea is Broke's best work, and I wish the author would return to that writing style and sub-genre.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment