Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, January 9, 2021

For Fans Only | AstraDaemon

OCTOPUS 3 by Matt Shaw is the most brutal installment of the series. "We all go mad" is a severe understatement. I'm pretty sure I maintained a full-body cringe from beginning to end...some of the action scenes took me so far out of my comfort zone, I felt physically ill. I thought, having read the first two books of the trilogy, I would be okay, but this one gave me night terrors.

The thing is, this is not just some extreme violence slopped together with gore to attract readers the sleazy way. Shaw still maintains his storytelling expertise by weaving together the threads of insane personal interactions to create the ultimate welcome banner for the Great Old One.

Reading Matt Shaw is like getting a tattoo: hurts like hell, but I'm pleased with the results, and I can't deny how good the adrenaline rush feels...and, like an addict, I keep coming back for another round. I'm just not sure how I'm going to make it through the next one.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment