Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Poisoned | AstraDaemon

THE OMEN TREE by Fredrick Niles centers on a town with a serial killer, demonic entities, and a secret society. The main characters are three middle school students who realize there is something very wrong with their town, but none of the adults will listen to them. Even after a young lady goes missing, most folk continuing living in denial about the severity of the situation. Thank goodness for the school librarian, and the power of books.

I couldn't figure out how everything fit together, until Ian, Ella and Ben make a horrifying discovery in the woods. Even then, I had no idea where the rest of the story would take me. The epilogue is terrifying, and makes me think we might see a sequel. If I'm wrong, this novel still works as a stand-alone. However, I predict Ben becomes a Harbinger, Ella becomes a librarian, and Ian becomes the Sheriff. For a twist, Claire could be the next one to carve skin-stars.

I've read a couple of short stories by Niles, but this is definitely his best work.

As always,
AstraDaemon

2 comments:

  1. Alright, this sounds good. I'm picking this one up to read ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember how I found Niles, but I really dig his storytelling.

      Delete